eBooks & eAudio
1. Getting Started
You can download free library e-books and e-audiobooks using Overdrive.
Click any of the below links for information on how to access our e-books using your specific device:
- How to download library e-books with a KOBO
- How to download library e-books with an Apple product (iOS)
- How to download library e-books with a standard e-reader
- How to download library e-books with an Android product
How to navigate the Overdrive platform from your browser:
2. Getting Help
How to navigate Overdrive’s Help resources for troubleshooting:
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What do I need to log-in to Overdrive?
You must have a County of Lennox & Addington Library card number and PIN. Contact your local branch if you do not know your PIN.
2. How many books can I check out?
You can have up to 10 titles checked out at any given time.
3. How long can I have them?
You can choose one or two weeks (Your Account –> Settings to set your preference). Materials will expire automatically at the end of the checkout period. These items do not have to be returned and late fines are never applied.
4. Can I return my books early?
Yes, it is possible to return certain items early.
5. I’m not done my book! Can I renew it?
Unfortunately, titles cannot be renewed. You have the option of checking them out again if they are available when the checkout period ends.
6. Is my device compatible with Overdrive?
As long as you DO NOT have a Kindle, it probably is. To confirm, check the complete list of compatible devices. Unfortunately, Kindle is not compatible with Canadian library e-books at this time.
7. Why am I not able to log-in?
- Please check that you are entering your library card and pin correctly (no spaces!)
- Are you trying to login in the very early hours of the morning? The system sometimes experiences downtime for maintenance during these hours.
- Still no luck? Call your local branch to confirm that 1) you have not been blocked by our system and that 2) your privilege has not expired.
8. Why is there a waitlist for an e-book?
Licensing for our e-books will vary from title to title but generally an e-book can only be checked out by one person, one copy at a time (just like a regular, tangible library book). Also, keep in mind that the majority of our e-books belong to a collection shared among other Ontario libraries. Where licensing, pricing and availability permits, L&A Libraries purchase e-book copies for the sole use of our own patrons – these titles will usually have a shorter waiting list even if it doesn’t look like it. This is done through the Overdrive Advantage program. Log-in to your Overdrive account and look out for the Advantage symbol: an orange star with an A on it.
9. I’m receiving an error message. What do I do?
Start by consulting Overdrive’s troubleshooting guide. Select your device from the menu and see if your issue has been addressed.
10. What about e-books for kids?
3. Still not sure what do to do?
You can register for Tech Talks (one-on-one technology troubleshooting) at our Amherstview (613-389-6006) or Napanee Branches (613-354-2525). These sessions run at 2pm, Monday – Thursday.